In an effort to continue to deliver expert resources in OA research, OARSI is sharing selected scientific presentations that would have been presented at the 2020 OARSI World Congress in Vienna.
OARSI Hour is free for all active members of OARSI. All OARSI Hour Attendees must register to gain access to the webinar.
Thank you to our Corporate Members who support OARSI and its education opportunities all year round. For more information regarding corporate sponsorship, please visit: https://www.oarsi.org/about/corporate-membership.
2019-2020 INDUSTRY PARTNERS
UPCOMING *SPECIAL* EDITION - MENTOR SESSION - LIVE ONLY!
The OARSI Young Investigator Committee brings its popular "Meet the Mentor" Session VIRTUALLY for the first time!
We are seeking to engage with early career OARSI members from around the world and provide them an opportunity to talk to renowned mentors in the OA field. We will be offering this session virtually at:
10 AM Central Standard Time (CST), UTC -6 on December 2, 2020
5 PM Central Standard Time (CST), UTC -6 on December 9, 2020
Registration and attendance for this session are open to all OARSI members/non-members and it is FREE!!
If interested, please register for the session before November 21, 2020, by clicking this link or copy-paste the following link in the web browser: https://forms.gle/ZJnFK9drN3tJm3cT6
Wednesday, September 30, 2020 | 9:00 AM EST
Clinical Trial Symposium
Moderators, Dr. Virginia Kraus and Dr. Morten Karsdal
Optimal clinical trials design is needed to bring new treatments to patients. OARSI aims to be the place to go for clinical research and pharma-academia interactions for shaping the future of OA research, and advancing clinical trials design. To facilitate these discussions, and information sharing, OARSI will host a clinical trial symposium, consisting of 6-8 to the point lectures followed by in depth discussions.
Clinical Science in OA, Jeymi Tambiah, MB, ChB
- How does clinical study design look today and tomorrow in OA? How did we change after the new FDA draft guidelines? Reflection from a sponsor interactions with the agencies
- Do we need TKR? & how do PROs fit into modern clinical development?
- How can we enrich and standardize for TKR? And should we?
- The relationship between structure and symptoms: Concordance or discordance?
- Implication for approvals of novel treatment for OA – Symptoms or structure or both?
How to reduce the placebo effect in clinical studies, Nathaniel Katz, MD, MS
- What drives the placebo response in clinical trials?
- What have people tried to do about it, and what is the evidence for or against effectiveness of various approaches?
- Does anything predict who will respond to placebo? (Hint: yes)
- Can we measure how accurately patients report subjective symptoms?
- Do patients differ in how accurately they report pain?
- Does training to improve accuracy of symptom reporting work?
- Why is it that the same people who can’t report their symptoms accurately also have a high placebo response?
- Given all the above, what should we be doing in our clinical trials?
Update on OA clinical studies in later stages of development, Timothy McAlindon, MD, MPH
- ADAMTS-5 – where are we today? (Servier/Galapagos)
- FGF-18 – does more cartilage translate into clinical efficacy? (Merck)
- Wnt signaling in OA – today and tomorrow. (Samumed)
- Anti-NGF – What is the optimal patient population and future use? (Lilly/Pfizer)
- Invossa – stem cell therapy in OA. (Tissuegene)
- New-commers and news from drug development.
Wednesday, June 10, 2020 | 9:00 AM EST
What Rare Diseases Can Tell Us About OA
James Gallagher, PhD, University of Liverpool
Wednesday, June 17, 2020 | 9:00 AM EST
Biological Agents in OA - Hopes and Disappointments
Xavier Chevalier, MD, PhD, Hôpitaux de Paris
Wednesday, June 24, 2020 | 9:00 AM EST
The Role of Synovium in the Onset and Progression Of OA
Naoshi Fukui, MD, PhD, University of Tokyo
Wednesday, July 1, 2020 | 9:00 AM EST
Advanced Imaging of Cartilage Repair
Siegfried Trattnig, MD, Vienna General Hospital
Wednesday, July 8, 2020 | 9:00 AM EST
The Potential for Dietary Factors to Prevent or Treat OA
Ian Clark, PhD, University of East Anglia
Followed by the OARSI Annual Business Meeting
Ali Mobasheri, DPhil (Oxon)
Wednesday, July 15, 2020 | 9:00 AM EST
Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
Valentina Pedoia, PhD, University of California San Francisco
Wednesday, July 22, 2020 | 9:00 AM EST
In Vivo Load-Induced OA In the Mouse
Marjolein van der Meulen, PhD, Cornell University
Wednesday, July 29, 2020 | 9:00 AM EST
Cartilage/Bone Crosstalk in Joint Health and Disease
Dr. Tamara Alliston, PhD, University of California San Francisco
Wednesday, August 5, 2020 | 9:00 AM EST
Guidelines and Recommendations in Treating Hand OA
Tanja Stamm, PhD, Dr. rer. biol. hum, MSc, MBA, Medical University of Vienna
Wednesday, August 12, 2020 | 9:00 AM EST
Mediation Analysis: Understanding Causal Pathways to Disease Outcomes
S. Reza Jafarzadeh, DVM, MPVM, PhD, Boston University School of Medicine
Wednesday, August 19, 2020 | 9:00 AM EST
From Gut To OA
Michael Zuscik, PhD, University of Colorado
Wednesday, August 26, 2020 | 9:00 AM EST
Highest Rated Abstracts from Young Investigators (Part I)
Wednesday, September 2, 2020 | 9:00 AM EST
Highest Rated Abstracts from Young Investigators (Part II)
Wednesday, September 9, 2020 | 9:00 AM EST
Year In Review
OA Clinical; Epidemiology and Therapy
George Peat, PhD, Keele University
Rehabilitation & Outcomes
Jackie Whittaker, PT, PhD University of Alberta
Genetics, Genomics, Epigenetics
Mohit Kapoor, PhD, Krembil Research Institute, University Health Network
Martijn van den Bosch, PhD, Radboud University Medical Center
Mechanics in OA
Janie Wilson, PhD, McMaster University
To view recordings of OARSI Hour, please become a member.
Continuing Education Information
In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by Amedco LLC and Osteoarthritis Research Society International. Amedco LLC is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Credit Designation Statement – Amedco LLC designates this live activity for a maximum of 17.0 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
For full statement, please visit: https://oarsi.org/oarsi-hour-register-today