Welcome to the OARSI Weekly Briefing - the single resource you need to stay up to date with OARSI & World Congress news, membership announcements, and happenings within the OARSI & OA community.
Bookmark this page for weekly updates.
Join the conversation online by following OARSI on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
October 29, 2021 Briefing-at-a-Glance
Submit Your Abstracts | OARSI CTS | Infographic Competition | Member Spotlight | Become a Sponsor, Supporter, or Exhibitor | Important Dates | Weekly Briefing Archive
The Osteoarthritis Research Society International invites you to submit your research for an in person or virtual oral or poster presentation at the 2022 World Congress to be held in Berlin, Germany. The submission period will close on November 12, 2021. Click HERE to read additional information on the submission process and to ensure your abstract is submitted to the appropriate category.
OARSI would like to develop an infographic for Policy Makers. Policy Makers play a critical, influential role in crafting and enacting rules, laws, regulations, delivering guidance documents, and directing public investment in research that positively affects the lives of people with OA. The purpose of the infographic should be to convince Policy Makers that investments in OA research improve quality of life and increase productivity. This infographic will complement our previous infographic competition winner that targeted funders, researchers, patients, and health professionals. For more information, please click HERE.
Over the course of the next few weeks, we will spotlight OARSI presidents. This week's Member Spotlight is current OARSI President, Ali Mobasheri.
How long have you been a member of OARSI and why did you join?
I have been a member of OARSI since 2003 when I attended my first OARSI congress, which was in Berlin, Germany from 12-15 October 2003. I joined the society and attended the congress because I was curious about the organization and I wanted to learn more about osteoarthritis. The 2003 meeting in Berlin was very small, with probably less than 350 attendees. I remember meeting the President Dr. Rollie Moskowitz who shook my hand and welcomed me to my first OARSI Congress. That warm welcome made a big impression on me.
What do you enjoy most about OARSI?
I have attended many of the OARSI annual congresses. I have particularly enjoyed the year in review sessions and my interactions with young investigators and senior colleagues. I have learned a lot and made some great friends and collaborators through OARSI. Some of the locations have been excellent.
Tell us a little bit about your research?
I am a biochemist and physiologist by training and I’m particularly interested in the cellular physiology of chondrocytes. My current research focuses on cartilage biology, biomarkers and immunometabolic alterations in osteoarthritis.
What was the biggest impact you made as OARSI President?
Perhaps you should ask this question after I have finished my term as president in May 2022! Of course the pandemic has had a major impact on the organization. With the support of the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors we managed to avoid significant financial losses associated with the cancellation of the 2020 Congress in Vienna and postponement of the 2021 Congress in Denver. We introduced OARSI Hour and OARSI Live to maintain continued engagement with the membership during the pandemic. We look forward to our first in-person meeting in Berlin in April 2022.
What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
I enjoy running, hiking, cycling and swimming. I haven’t been able to swim for the last 20 months but on average I run about 50 kilometres each week. I love food and the exercise helps me to burn off the calories and keep my joints in good shape. I am a supporter of performing arts, particularly opera and ballet. I haven’t had the opportunity to attend any live performances since March 2020 but I’ve had a lot of extra time to run, hike and cycle.
Contact Dana Groves
Manager of Relations Manager
Download Our 2022 Sponsorship, Support & Exhibit Prospectus
- November 12, 2021 - Abstract Submission Deadline
- 2021 Membership Dues: Be sure to renew your OARSI dues. Renew.
- April 7 - 10, 2022 - OARSI World Congress in Berlin, Germany
2021 Industry Partners
2022 Industry Partners
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - March 12, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - March 19, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - March 26, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - April 2, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - April 23, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - May 7, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - May 14, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - May 21, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - May 28, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - June 4, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - June 11, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - June 18, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - June 25, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - July 2, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - July 9, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - July 16, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - July 23, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - July 30, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - August 6, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - August 13, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - August 20, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - August 27, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - September 3, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - September 10, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - September 17, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - September 24, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - October 1, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - October 8, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - October 15, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - October 22, 2021