Welcome to the OARSI Weekly Briefing - the single resource you need to stay up to date with OARSI & World Congress news, membership announcements, and happenings within the OARSI & OA community.
Bookmark this page for weekly updates.
Join the conversation online by following OARSI on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
November 5, 2021 Briefing-at-a-Glance
Submit Your Abstracts | OARSI CTS | Infographic Competition | Board Update | Member Spotlight | Become a Sponsor, Supporter, or Exhibitor | Important Dates | Weekly Briefing Archive
The Osteoarthritis Research Society International invites you to submit your research for an in person or virtual oral or poster presentation at the 2022 World Congress to be held in Berlin, Germany. The submission period will close on November 12, 2021. Click HERE to read additional information on the submission process and to ensure your abstract is submitted to the appropriate category.
OARSI is collaborating with the Osteoarthritis Action Alliance (OAAA) to develop an infographic for Policy Makers. Policy Makers play a critical, influential role in crafting and enacting rules, laws, regulations, delivering guidance documents, and directing public investment in research that positively affects the lives of people with OA. The purpose of the infographic should be to convince Policy Makers that investments in OA research improve quality of life and increase productivity. This infographic will complement our previous infographic competition winner that targeted funders, researchers, patients, and health professionals.
OARSI hosted a popular and highly informative Clinical Trials Symposium on October 20, 2021. If you missed it, you may view the recording here. Your comments and feedback are very important to us and will help in planning future OARSI events. Symposium participants are encouraged to complete this online survey.
Your OARSI Board of Directors met virtually on October 29 and 30 to discuss the 2022 budget, World Congress program, committee reports and the new Early OA Classification Criteria Task Force. The board elected new officers and determined the slate of candidates for open board positions that will be approved by the membership at the Annual Business Meeting during World Congress on April 7, 2022.
This week's Member Spotlight is upcoming 2022 OARSI President, Gun-Il Im.
How long have you been a member of OARSI and why did you join?
I joined OARSI from Rome meeting in 2008. As an orthopaedic surgeon treating a lot of OA patients and researcher whose main field is the regenerative medicine for OA, I realized that OARSI was the major forum for OA where all kinds of related knowledge are discussed, refined and distributed.
What do you enjoy most about OARSI?
Unlike other biomedical societies, OARSI is both multidisciplinary and multinational (also multicultural). OARSI provides unique environment not only for enjoying science and academic talks, but also for talking and making friends with numerous people who have various background in science and culture, therefore different ways of thinking in solving a matter. I have learned a lot from our colleagues and really enjoyed friendship with them during my years in OARSI.
Tell us a little bit about your research?
My main research topic is regenerative medicine for OA. It means every effort to arrest the progression of OA and restore the articular cartilage that can provide a durable structure, eliminate pain and avoid joint replacement. I have investigated on stem cell therapy, gene therapy and also new biomaterials that can contribute to cartilage regeneration in OA in last 25 years.
What are you most excited about for OARSI in 2022?
We are meeting in person for the first time in 3 years. I expect a lot of new knowledge and findings that have been accumulated in last years will be presented in Berlin. It is also a great chance to hug old friends and share the warmth and spirit with them. This has not been possible because of pandemic so far.
What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
I enjoy traveling whenever I have free time. International conferences provided opportunities to visit every corner of the planet during my academic life. I am a very avid reader keenly interested in studying history and various cultures of the world. I also love listening to classical music.
Contact Dana Groves
Manager of Relations Manager
Download Our 2022 Sponsorship, Support & Exhibit Prospectus
- November 12, 2021 - Abstract Submission Deadline
- 2021 Membership Dues: Be sure to renew your OARSI dues. Renew.
- April 7 - 10, 2022 - OARSI World Congress in Berlin, Germany
2021 Industry Partners
2022 Industry Partners
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - March 12, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - March 19, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - March 26, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - April 2, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - April 23, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - May 7, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - May 14, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - May 21, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - May 28, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - June 4, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - June 11, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - June 18, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - June 25, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - July 2, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - July 9, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - July 16, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - July 23, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - July 30, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - August 6, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - August 13, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - August 20, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - August 27, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - September 3, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - September 10, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - September 17, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - September 24, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - October 1, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - October 8, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Brieging - October 15, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - October 22, 2021
- OARSI Weekly Briefing - October 29, 2021